- It has long been our intention to publish a list of our periodical literature, and now at the probable discontinuance of our Review as a periodical, at the close of the sixth volume, we shall, while giving its history, endeavor to give a short sketch of the journals that existed before it, were contemporary with it and continue after.
The American Journal of Homoeopathia. - The first periodical of the new system was an octave of forty-eight pages; the first number of which was published in February, and the three subsequent numbers appeared in April, June and August of the same year. It was edited by Drs. John F. Gray and A. Gerald Hull; the first two numbers bore the imprint or Moore and Payne as publishers, New York, the last two that or Ludwig the printer only. The publication was intended for the profession and intelligent laymen; not to disseminate the teachings of Hahnemann among the public. It contained articles on the characteristics and history or Homoeopathy; translation of Hahnemann's essays. “On the Value of the Speculative Systems or Medicine and “Coffee,” doses, homoeopathic experience; an account of Andral's attempt to practise Homoeopathy; Homoeopathy in Russia; extracts from an address of Dr. Peschier, with cases of practice; effects of Silicea and Sepia; the homoeopathic treatment or Cholera; Intermittent fever and hemicrania; clinical cases, notices or homoeopathic works, homoeopathic intelligence, etc., etc.
Correspondenzblatt der homoeopathischen Aertze, herausgegeben durch die Nordamerikanische Akademie der homoepathischen Heilkunst zu Allentown an der Lecha. - Of this periodical we have been unable to procure a copy. It was published in 1835-36, some fourteen numbers only appeared.
The American Journal of Homoeopathy, edited by an association of homoeopathic physicians. The above is the title of a periodical which made its first appearance in Philadelphia, in August. It was published by W. L. J. Kiderlin &; Co., bi-monthly, in octavo form. The editors names do not appear; the contributors were Drs. Paul Wolf, C. F. Matlack, G. Lingen, C. Hering, P. Currie, C. Von Boenninghausen, J. G. Rosenstein, D. H. Scott, W. Channing, C. Neidhard, P. Bernstein and others. In the first number was published an article on “American Homoeopathic Literature,” giving the titles of fifteen works on the subject at that early period. The theory of Homoeopathy; the Materia Medica; cases, illustrative of the practice; general intelligence regarding the progress of the new system, together with a variety or instructive and interesting matter, which would well repay the reader to peruse at the present day, fill up the volume of 216 pages. There was but one volume published and in
Miscellanies on Homoeopathy, edited by an association of homoeopathic physicians, was the new title given the volume which made one of the best books to put into the hand of physician or layman desirous of knowing something of Homoeopathy.
The Homoeopathic Examiner. - In January, 1840, appeared the first number of this valuable journal under the editorship of Dr. A. Gerald Hull. As announced in the prospectus, articles were published on the following topics: the characteristics of Homoeopathy and Allopathy; popular objections to Homoeopathy considered and exposed; dietetics; domestic medicine; physiology; materia medica; therapeutics; criticism of foreign and domestic homoeopathic publications; correspondence; miscellaneous homoeopathic intelligence, etc., etc. The first article of Dr. Hull “On the State and Prospects of Homoeopathy,” gives an exceedingly elaborate view of the rise and progress of our school everywhere. It is written with a great deal of care and accuracy. The authorities whence the author derived the facts are all carefully given, making this an acknowledged source, to which almost every author has referred for statistics, and facts for a popular discourse.
The journal appeared monthly, as a royal octavo of forty-eight pages, and was continued under the management of Dr. Hull for three years. No journal could have supplied the wants of the homoeopathic profession and laity better than it. Its pages contain a complete history at Homoeopathy from its origin up to the time of discontinuing the journal.
The publication was discontinued from December, 1843, till August 1845, when a new series was commenced under the care of Drs. Gray and Hempel, and was continued two years. The new series was published monthly, regular octavo size. There were published as an Appendix thereto, Rueckert's, Therapeutics and Boenninghausen's Intermittent Fever. The first volume was issued by Ludwig, printer, New York; the second by Felt & Co., and the third, the last of the first series, by W. Dean. The new series (two volumes) was published by Radde, New York.
Homoeopathic Pioneer. - By H. Hull Cator, M.D., and L. M. Tracy, M.D., Syracuse, N. Y. By editorial articles, extracts from other Journals, reviews of new books, items of news and records of cases in which they were assisted by many homoeopathic physicians, Drs. Cator and Tracy succeeded in keeping their subscribers informed or the progress Homoeopathy was making. The journal was published monthly, in large octavo form, double columns, sixteen pages. The first number was issued in July. It was published one year.
The American Journal of Homoeopathy, edited by S. R. Kirby, H.D., and R. A. Snow, M.D. It was in large octavo form of eight pages (afterward enlarged to twelve) and published every two weeks. On the completion of the second volume in April, 1848, Dr. Snow resigned his editorship and Dr. Kirby continued it alone. It was again enlarged to sixteen pages and appeared monthly, instead of semi-monthly. The publication wall discontinued after the issue for August, 1854, that being the fourth number of volume nine. During the period of its publication its readers were kept informed of what was transpiring in the homoeopathic school.
The South-Western Homoeopathic Journal and Review was published in St. Louis, Mo. The first number was issued in August, in octavo form of sixteen pages. It was concluded by John T. Temple, M.D., until March, 1850, when the name of Thomas Houghton appeared as editor. The Journal was published monthly and extended through three volumes. It was filled with editorial articles, correspondence, extracts from other periodicals, etc.
The North-Western Journal of Homoeopathy, under the editorship of Geo. E. Shipman, M.D., was published in Chicago. This journal must always occupy a prominent place in homoeopathic literature. No journal has done more to disseminate Homoeopathy among the Western physicians than this. By original articles from the able pen of the editor; by contributions from the best writers in our school in this country; by interesting and instructive reports of cases, extracts and translations from foreign periodicals and works, reviews of new books, etc., the journal earned for itself more than a transient or local reputation. It was published monthly in octavo form of sixteen pages, and was continued four years.
Michigan Journal of Homoeopathy is the title of a monthly periodical published at Detroit, Mich., with John Ellis, M.D., and S. B. Thayer, M.D., as editors. The first number was issued in November, in duodecimo form, of twelve pages. It was published monthly, contained articles addressed more to the laity than the profession. It was continued a little over one year.
Quarterly Homoeopathic Journal. - Edited by Drs. Joseph E. Birnstell and B. de Gersdorf, was the title of a periodical, In octavo form of 144 pages, published by Clapp, of Boston, the first number of which appeared in January. Its object was “to lay before the American reader, scientific and practically useful articles, selected from the current homoeopathic literature of the day in Germany and France.” It did not seek to disguise the fact that two distinct parties existed in the homoeopathic school, consisting of those physicians who accepted Hahnemann's theories of psora and the dose, and those who openly declared their dissent thereto.
While not obtruding their private opinions in the journal, they were influenced thereby in their selection of articles, although articles from the best writers on both aides were published. The first volume contained almost exclusively translations from German homoeopathic works and periodicals. In the second and last volume of the first series, articles were published from American contributors and extracts made from English periodicals.
In July, 1852, the first number of the new series appeared under the editorial management of Drs. J. Birnstill and J. A.. Tarbell. Two volumes were published; the numbers being reduced in size from 144 pages to 48. The course proposed in the beginning of furnishing translations from the German was carried out in the new series, although there were published many original articles from American contributors. The complete set of four volumes is a valuable accession to a physician's library, furnishing an extensive work on the practice of medicine.
The Homoeopathist was published in Buffalo by Dr. Dioclesian Lewis (afterwards known as Dr. Dio Lewis). It was published about two years and intended to spread a knowledge of Homoeopathy among the people. It first appeared as a semi-monthly and was afterwards changed to a monthly; it was in octavo form of pages.
The North American Homoeopathic Journal, conducted by C. Hering, M.D., Philadelphia; E. E. Marcy, M D., New York; J. W. Metcalf, M.D., New York, first appeared in February. It was published by Radde, an octavo of 112 pages, issued quarterly. Under the above management it was continued three years, until November, 1853, when the ill health of Dr. Metcalf, the acting manager, obliged his retiring, and the publication was suspended until August, 1856, when under the title of
The North American Journal of Homoeopathy, it reappeared under the editorial management of Drs. E. E. Marcy, J. C. Peters, W. H. Holcombe and H. C. Preston. During the publication of volumes six and seven, in the years 1857 and 1858, many of the readers of the journal took exceptions to the character of the articles published as not advancing the cause of Homoeopathy, but tending toward a mongrel practice of combination of systems. In volume six, Dr. Peters gave an exposition of his views which brought out a reply from Dr. Marcy, and finally resulted in the withdrawal of Drs. Marcy and Preston from the journal. The third epoch began with the eighth volume under the editorship of Drs. Peters, Holcombe, Snelling, Bayard, Hoffendahl, Hale, Ludlam, Comstock, Franklin, Perkins and Bradford, and lasted two years. The tenth volume was placed under the management of the following physicians, who comprised the editorial corps of another journal: Drs. Alley, Blumenthal, Carmichael, Comstock, Culbert, D. M. Dake, J. P. Dake, Douglass, Franklin, Guilbert, Hale, Helmuth, Holcombe, Hunt, Ludlam, Marcy, Neidhard, Payne, Preston, Temple, Ward, Williamson. The publication is still edited by the above, assisted by Drs. Adams, Hempel and Lingen.
Cincinnati Journal of Homoeopathy, a monthly periodical of 16 pages, octavo, edited by Drs. B. Ehrmann, A. Miller, and G. W. Bigler, made its first appearance in March. It was published under the supervision of the Society of Homoeopathic Physicians of Cincinnati, and contained besides editorial articles, extracts from other journals, reviews of books, proceedings of societies, items of news, etc. It was published one year.
The Homoeopathic Advocate and Guide to Health, as its name implies was published as a paper for popular reading. The first number was published in April, an octavo of 16 pages; issued monthly by Dr. D. White, Keene, N. H. The publication was continued one year.
Homoeopathic Medical News Letter, was the title of a quarto meet of four pages, published in St. Louis, for circulation among their patients by Drs. J. Granger, T. J. Vastine and T. G. Comstock. The first number appeared in September; it was published monthly for one year.
The American Magazine, devoted to Homoeopathy and Hydropathy; containing also popular articles on anatomy, physiology, hygiene and dietetics. Such is the title, which is sufficiently explanatory of a monthly periodical published in Cleveland and Cincinnati, under the editorship of Drs. J. H. Pulte, and H. P. Gatchell. It was published in octavo form, the first volume containing 32 pages in each number. The second volume, under the title of The American Magazine of Homoeopathy, being enlarged to 44 pages a month. In April, 1854, under the title of Quarterly Homoeopathic Magazine, Dr. C. D. Williams joined Drs. Pulte and Gatchell in the editorship, the numbers were increased in size to 48 pages, and the journal was filled with articles interesting to the profession, ceasing to be a journal for popular reading. As a quarterly it was published one year.
The Carlisle Journal of Homoeopathy was the name of a periodical published in Carlisle, Pa., by Dr. J. K. Smith. It was intended as a popular journal to be issued monthly. The first number was published in October, an octavo of eight pages. We do not know how long it was continued.
The Philadelphia Journal of Homoeopathy. - In April, under the editorship of Dr. W. A. Gardiner, was published the first number of this monthly periodical. No journal has begun with better promise of success than this, with a list of contributors embracing the names of some of the first physicians of our school. The regular contributors to the first three volumes were, Drs. B. F. Joslin, A. H. Okie, H. C. Preston, J. P. Dake, P. P. Wells, C. Dunham, J. Kitchen, C. Neidhard, W. S.Helmuth, A.E. Small, S. R. Dubs, J. G. Loomis, W. E. Payne. The clinical records, monographs on special diseases, studies of the Materia Medica, provings of remedies, editorial articles, etc., make the first three volumes exceedingly valuable as a work of reference. The fourth and last volume, edited b, Drs. W. Gardiner and J. F. Geary, although containing some interesting articles, did not sustain the character of the preceding. The greater part of the volume was filled up with personalities, attacks and rejoinders. The subscription list fell off and with the conclusion of this volume the publication was discontinued. It was published in octavo form of 64 pages. Dr. A. E. Small was co-editor with Dr. Gardiner in the third volume.
Der Homoeopath und diaetische Hausfreund, was the name of a large octavo sheet of eight pages, published by Dr. Dioclesian Lewis, at Buffalo, for circulation among the German laity. It first appeared in July, only a few numbers were published.
The Chicago Homoeopath, published in Chicago, by Drs. D. S. Smith, S. W. Graves and R. Ludlam, issued bi-monthly in octavo form of 16 pages. As a journal designed for the non-professional reader it was the best of its kind. At the conclusion of the second volume, Drs. Smith and Graves retired and was succeeded by Dr. D. A. Colton. The first number was issued in January.
The Family Journal of Homoeopathy, another periodical for the lay reader, was issued in January, at St. Louis, Mo. It was “edited by an association of physicians” for a time, then appears the name of D. White, M.D., as sole editor; another change, and Drs. Temple and White assume the editorial responsibility, again there appears only the name of J. T. Temple, MD., as editor. It was published for one year, monthly of 16 pages, octavo.
Madison Homoeopathist was the name of a third popular journal that made its appearance in January of this year. It also was in octavo form, of eight pages, issued monthly. It was edited by Drs. Bowen and Giles for the few months of its existence.
The Homoeopathic News, edited by Drs. C. Hering and A. Lippe, published by Boericke and Tafel, of Philadelphia, in large octavo, of eight pages, purported to be “an independent advertising sheet” devoting “at the same time” two pages to “a pinch of all the news of interest to our practitioners, and to the friends of our cause.” This matter it was proposed to arrange under separate heads, the eighth and last was the most important and of this head the principal feature was the “mistakes.” These latter consisted in publishing the errors of Jahr's New Manual. Mention is made in the News of many new remedies, and as the journal is frequently referred to by of one our periodicals we have said more about it than we otherwise should.
The Canadian Journal of Homoeopathy was published for the purpose of disseminating facts relative to Homoeopathy, not only among the profession in Canada but also among the public. It was edited by W. A. Greenleaf, M.D., and A. T. Bull, M.D. It was published monthly, an octavo of eight pages. It was issued, a few months, from St. Catherines and, the rest of the time, from Hamilton. It was continued about fifteen months.
Medical Investigator was the title of a quarto sheet of four pages, published for a few months at St. Louis under the care of Dr. D. White. It is mentioned here as it was edited by a homoeopathic physician and intended as a weekly homoeopathic newspaper.
Le Praticien Homoeopathic, published in New Orleans by Dr. L. Caboche. The first number of this journal was issued in November and published monthly, in octavo form, of 24 pages. It was continued a little, more than a year.
North Western Journal of Homoeopathy. - Although of the same name and claiming to be a new series of the able journal conducted by Dr. Shipman, this periodical was an entirely different affair. The body of the first number (the only one published) is dated January, the cover bears date May, it was issued in August or September. It purported to be a “Quarterly Magazine of Medicine and the Auxiliary Sciences,” and edited by an association of homoeopathic physicians. It was an octavo of 174 pages, and filled up with the greatest medley of articles it were possible to put in print.
The Homoeopath made its first appearance July 1st, under the editorship of Dr. Chas. E. Blumenthal. It was published semi-monthly by C. T. Hurlburt, New York, in quarto form of eight pages. It was intended as a homoeopathic newspaper and advertising sheet. It was published one year.
American Homoeopathic Review. - In the spring of 1858, when Dr. Peters, in the North American Journal of Homoeopathy was approving and publishing contributions from one of which the following is an extract: “Two sterling remedies were indicated in her case, Quinine to neutralize the miasmatic poison and Iron to correct the debility dependent on that poison. * * I administered in appreciable doses that admirable double Salt of Beral, the citrate of Iron and Quinine” (N. A. J. of Hom., Vol. VI., p. 90), there was dissatisfaction expressed by a large number of homoeopathic physicians that the Journal was the only periodical representing (professedly only) Homoeopathy.
Drs. Roger G. Perkins and Henry M. Smith proposed issuing one that should advocate a strict adherence to the homoeopathic law, although acknowledging the right or every physician to prescribe the remedies in such quantities as his experience or judgment dictated.
As the other was a quarterly it was thought advisable to issue a monthly periodical. To keep the American physicians au courant with what was transpiring abroad in regard to Homoeopathy, Dr. Edwin H. Kellogg was invited to take charge of the foreign department, translations, etc. The co-operation of Drs. Benjamin F. Joslin, jr., and Edward P. Fowler was afterwards procured with the design of increasing the size from that previously contemplated, and also, by associating together those holding different views with regard to the dose, it was thought the periodical would be on a more liberal basis; would more fairly represent the whole school and not one party, which the Review did not profess to do till subsequent events rendered it desirable.
It was afterwards thought that the editorial staff was too large, and Dr. C. Dunham was spoken to in regard to taking the sole management, but before the final arrangements were made his failing health prevented his undertaking it and in October 1858 the first number of the Review appeared under the auspices of R. G. Perkins and H. M. Smith as editors and proprietors. Themselves unknown to the homoeopathic profession, the editors sought and received the literary assistance of the more noted of our physicians, as Drs. Bayard, J. P. Dake, Dunham, Fincke, Hallock, Hering, Joslin, Joslin, jr., Kellogg, Lippe, Ludlam, Marcy, H. D. Paine, Rhees, Shipman, Talbot, Vanderburgh, and others.
In January, 1859, Dr. Perkins' health obliged him to resign his position on The Review, and for a time retire from the practice of his profession. In the spring or 1859, some of the contributors of the quarterly magazine, dissatisfied with the articles of the principal editor withdrew their support and were very desirous the Review should be changed into a quarterly, promising their literary and pecuniary support if such was done. It was not deemed advisable, and from the withdrawal of Dr. Perkins till the conclusion of the second volume, the Review was under the management of H. M. Smith.
The breaking out of the rebellion, and general prospective disruption of business throughout the country, caused a temporary suspension of the publication. At a meeting held in New York, September 18th, 1861, of Drs. Hering, Lippe, Joslin, B. F. Bowers, Wells, Reisig, Joslin, jr., H. M. Smith, Donovan, Allen, and Dunham, it was concluded to continue the publication as the special advocate of the high potencies in the treatment of disease, under the management of Drs. Joslin, Wells, Dunham and Smith.
The publication of the Review was resumed with the third volume in July, 1862, Drs. Dunham and Smith assuming the responsibility, both literary and pecuniary. Dr. Wells kindly assisting with many valuable contributions which our readers remember with profit. At the conclusion of the fourth volume the publication devolved on Messrs. John T. S. Smith & Sons, who have continued it to the present time, while the editorial department has remained as before.
The Homoeopathist was intended to be a popular sheet, published by Drs. J. M. Buzzell and D. White, at Springfield, Mass. It was to be published monthly, large octavo, of 16 pages. Three or four numbers only were issued.
The Western Journal of Homoeopathy, edited by E. C. Franklin, M.D., was started in October, with a view of furnishing the profession in the Mississippi Valley a small frequent periodical, which should be a means of intercourse between them and also keep them posted as to what progress Homoeopathy was making elsewhere. It was published monthly at St. Louis, an octavo, of 20 pages.
L'Homoion, organs de la doctrine Hahnemannienne was first issued in May, under the editorship of Dr. Taxil, at New Orleans. It was published monthly on octavo, of 22 pages. It was published up to December, 1860.
The Homoeopathist was the name also of a quarto sheet of tour pages, edited by Dr. J. M. Blaisdell, of Vermont, Ill., who intended by this publication to diffuse a knowledge of Homoeopathy among the people. Of his success or the length of time his paper was continued, we are ignorant.
The United States Journal of Homoeopathy. - Drs. Marcy and Preston, on withdrawing from the North American Journal of Homoeopathy, associated with them fifty-two other homoeopathic physicians and undertook the publication of the above journal. It was continued two years when it was emerged, as previously, stated, into the North American Journal. It was published quarterly by Hurlburt, in octavo form; the first volume containing 818 pages and the second 694. The first number was published in February.
The American Journal of Materia Medica, edited by Geo. E. Shipman, M.D., published by Halsey and King, an octavo, of 48 pages, was published, first, to indicate the false or impure symptoms in Hahnemann's Materia Medica; second, to publish provings of remedies which will show the relative value of the symptoms which are pure; third, to eke out the insufficiency of proving by intentional or accidental cases of poisoning; fourth, to confirm the whole by cases of cures. Articles were published on Aconite, Arsenic, Ammoniac gum., Asparagus and Gelsemium. Four numbers of the journal only were published.
The Medical Investigator was first issued in March, by Halsey and King, Chicago, as a popular monthly periodical. After several changes in form and object, it is now published as a monthly newspaper for the profession and advertising sheet for the publishers.
The Western Homoeopathic Observer, published by H. C. G. Luyties, at St. Louis, made its first appearance in November as a monthly periodical, containing short and interesting articles for the profession. As an appendix, was published “Examinations on the Homoeopathic Theory and Practice of Medicine.” It was begun under the charge of Dr. W. T. Helmuth, who has now associated with him in the editorship Dr. G. S. Walker. It was published in an octavo of 16 pages, it has since been enlarged to 20 pages.
American Homoeopathic Observer, first published in January under the title of Homoeopathic Observer, then with the prefix “Monthly,” and finally settling on the above title by which it is now known, is, as most of our readers are aware, the name of the popular monthly periodical issued at Detroit, by Dr. E. A. Lodge. It was issued as an octavo, of 16 pages, but has been increased to 48.
The American Homoeopathist is the name of a monthly journal issued in July, at Cincinnati, under the editorship of C. Cropper, M.D., as a hall professional and half non-professional journal. The publication is still continued by Smith and Worthington under the editorship of Dr. Jas. G. Hunt. Originally published in octavo form of 16 pages, it has been enlarged to 24 pages.
The Hahnemannian Monthly made its first appearance in August, the event being duly announced by us beforehand, and chronicled at the time. Published in octavo form, or 48 pages, “similar in size and general appearance to the American Homoeopathic Review,” and having a similar object in its publication, but still it differed from the Review in being the organ of a sect, a school, the Homoeopathic Medical College or Pennsylvania. Conducted by the faculty of that institution, it is under the especial editorial charge of Dr. J. H. P. Frost. Being still published, and likely to continue when we cease to exist, our readers probably know as much of the journal as we do or, if not, will have an opportunity of becoming acquainted therewith.
The United States Medical and Surgical Journal, a quarterly magazine of the homoeopathic practice of medicine and medical science in general. The great West wanted a journal; it did not want to depend on the East for a journal. The Western Institute of Homoeopathy at its second annual meeting in May, resolved to sustain a journal to be published in the West. In October appeared the first number of this periodical, an octavo, of 112 pages. Dr. Geo. E. Shipman assumed the editorial charge, and Mr. C. S. Halsey the publication. The publication continues a great addition to our periodical literature.
The New England Medical Gazette, a monthly journal of homoeopathic medicine, surgery and the collateral sciences. Edited by H. C. Angell, M.D., published by the New England Medical Gazette Association. So reads the title page of the organ of the New England Homoeopathic Physicians, a journal exceedingly well got up, of great promise and intended for the professional reader. It is published in octavo form, of 24 pages. The first number appeared in January.
Popular Homoeopathic Journal, published monthly, in Elgin, Ill., by Dr. C. A. Jaeger, is an octavo, of eight pages. Its title sufficiently well indicates its object. Its first appearance was in February.
The Homoeopathic Expositor. - We close our article with the mention of this journal, the first number of which, dated July, has just reached us. It is proposed by the homoeopathic physicians of Milwaukie to issue it monthly. The number before us is an octavo, of 16 pages.
|The American Homoeopathic Review Vol. 06 No. 11-12, 1866, pages 458-467
|American Homoeopathic Periodicals
|errors only; interlinks; formatting